SAFER – Met Police Winter Vigilance Campaign 2018: Sixty Second Security Checklist
The Met Police County Terrorism Policing unit has launched a campaign to encourage the public to remain alert while out and about shopping or enjoying the festive season and to report anything suspicious to staff, security or police.
Under the banner ‘Communities Defeat Terrorism’ the campaign is part of the wider ‘ACT (Action Counters Terrorism)’ initiative. Security messages will appear on advertising boards and digital screens in busy shopping locations and event spaces.
As a retailer or other business the Met Police ask you to consider your business contingency plans and draw up a ‘Sixty Second Security’ plan which has the power to improve reaction to emergencies. The Sixty Second Security Checklist is:
- Who is appointed to make decisions on the shop floor and do they know what they are doing?
- How do you enter and exit the building in an emergency?
- How do you lock down quickly?
- Where can you hide if necessary?
- How do you communicate to others and how do you stay updated if you find yourself in a ‘Run, Hide, Tell’ scenario?
- Have you briefed all staff?
A fuller ‘Security’ Checklist is available to download here – Security checklist for businesses v2
Further, the ACT Awareness e-learning tool, developed to provide nationally accredited counter terrorism guidance is available to all businesses.
If you see or hear something suspicious, trust your instincts and report it to the police in confidence at www.gov.uk/ACT or call 0800 789 321